A reconstruction of the Stenberg brothers' Konstruktsiya Prosranstvennogo Sooruzheniya (Construction for a Spatial Structure) (1917) will be on display at the Henry Moore Institute, Leeds, from from January 22 to April 26.
The Moscow-born, Russian-Swedish brothers Vladimir (1899-1982) and Georgii (1900-1933) Stenberg are central figures of the early Russian Constructivist movement, characterised by a laboratory style of working that placed the 'artist-producer' within everyday activities.
As former students of Moscow's Stroganov School of Applied Arts and members of the Institute of Artistic Culture (INKhUK), they were at the heart of debates surrounding the role of the artist in society.
The Stenbergs were trained engineers specialising in railway structures and bridges, and collaborated between 1917 and 1933 on designing functional structures, that included car factories, highways and workers' clubs.
They are mostly known, however, for their graphic design, film posters, theatre scenography and designs for mass celebrations in Moscow's Red Square. In distinction, Vladimir and Georgii Stenberg: Construction for a Spatial Structure VI ('KPS6', 1919/73) focuses on their lesser-known three-dimensional work.
At the centre of this display is 'KPS6', a 1973 reconstruction of a sculpture originally made in 1919.
The title's acronym stands for Konstruktsiya Prosranstvennogo Sooruzheniya (Construction for a Spatial Structure), an abbreviation the Stenbergs would use to name similar works made in iron, steel, glass and wood.
While seemingly abstract, these geometric constructions were in reality a continuation of the Stenberg's interest in engineering and technology, and may be considered as experimental proposals for buildings. The reconstruction of 'KPS6' was overseen by the French-Bulgarian art historian Andrei B. Nakov (b. 1941) by carefully referencing drawings and photographs showing exhibition installation views. 'KPS6' is presented alongside a precise architectural sketch for the sculpture's reconstruction made by Vladimir Stenberg in 1973.
Vladimir and Georgii Stenberg: 'Construction for a Spatial Structure VI' ('KPS6' will be on display at the Henry Moore Institute for January 22 to April 26.